2020 has been a year!
Here are 5 super quick tips on how to share all the courage, compassion and conviction you can muster…along with some year-end celebration on the side.
- Acknowledge Your Team: In 2020, simply entering your workplace presented an element of danger. Working from home has been isolating. Your team is weary and needs YOU and your leadership. Stay connected. They may be overwhelmed and they’ll appreciate your compassion and your presence.
- Inform daily.
- Answer questions.
- Listen to their concerns.
- Show appreciation.
Neuroscience tells us the brain always wants to know: How am I doing? and What’s next?
- Assure Your Customers & Partners: Key stakeholders have similar needs. Assurance that you’re doing as much as you reasonably can.…that you’ll be there and that you’ll provide timely information is a golden opportunity to strengthen your bond and build trust.
- Use candor.
- Solidify your relationships.
- Be responsive and engaged.
Have the courage to let credibility and trust be your North Star.
- Pace over Perfection: It’s time to move…thoughtfully, swiftly and confidently. Triage:
- What do we absolutely need to implement?
- What are our most critical functions?
- What can wait and for how long?
Then shape your new reality with conviction. Communicate, connect, collaborate and make your moves. Adjust as needed. Stay nimble and strive for excellence (which is not to be confused with perfection!)
- Let Crisis be Your Teacher: Difficult events are transformative. New ideas emerge. Long held beliefs are challenged. Legacy thinking suddenly appears too rigid or entrenched. Don’t stress. Instead, ask:
- What do I need to learn here?
- What is this crisis here to teach me?
Others, (including your kids) have probably been wondering when you’d step into the 21st century. Welcome!
- Give Yourself Oxygen: Take care of yourself,.
- Stay healthy.
- Rest, eat well, exercise.
- Above all else…Celebrate!
You did it! They did it! Congratulations! Well done!
Now, it’s time to give yourself a much needed and well-deserved rest so you can show up fully present in the New Year.
Your leadership is needed now more than ever!