Wellness Counseling Center Now Supports Children and Families Through Play Therapy
If you're overwhelmed, exhausted and looking for answers, Wellness Counseling Center can help.
Located in Charlotte NC, Wellness uses Play Therapy to support families and empower children. Through creative and therapeutic play, we help your child communicate effectively and express themselves in healthy and appropriate ways.
If you observe any of these behaviors, your child could benefit from Play Therapy:
- Difficulty maintaining focus
- Frequent outbursts or withdraws and internalizes problems
- Difficulty handling transitions from one activity to another
- Difficulty understanding the likely consequences of their actions
- Gives up easily on challenging or tedious tasks
- Unable to explore solutions to a problem
- Difficulty managing frustration
- Has stomachaches, headaches or a sense of worthlessness
- Is chronically irritable or anxious and experiences increasing frustration
Play is a child’s language and toys are their voice.
Child-Centered Play Therapy utilizes creative and expressive activities to help your child identify and label emotions. Play Therapy is remarkably simple and a powerful place of self-discovery. Once your child knows that our office and their therapy hour is a safe place, a spark is lit. When your child learns to express emotions in a healthy way while being acknowledged and heard, it helps build more confidence, healthier relationships and a stronger family.
At Wellness, we create that safe space for your child to express their feelings by utilizing play-therapy techniques. Then, every 4-6 weeks you will be invited to join your child for a joint play session. This provides an opportunity for you to support your child by listening, affirming, offering praise and encouragement during the play session.
Here are some of the benefits of Play Therapy:
- Increased ability to manage and cope with a variety of emotions
- Increased ability to maintain self-control
- Develop the ability to label and express emotions in an appropriate manner
- Increased self-esteem
- Improved communication skills
- Increased problem-solving skills
- Increased ability to self-regulate emotions (anger, anxiety, depression)
- Learn flexibility / how to shift from one idea or plan to another
- Improve social interaction skills and develop empathy for others
Meet Stephanie Davis and Christina Bronte, two experienced therapists who work with young people. Stephanie specializes in using Play Therapy techniques with young children ages 3 – 11. She uses other creative methods such as bibliotherapy with adolescents and teens ages 12-17.
Stephanie sees children and teens for individual counseling services. She specializes in using Play Therapy techniques with young children ages 3 – 11 along with CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) to help children explore their emotions and develop healthy coping skills. Stephanie also uses creative therapeutic methods such as bibliotherapy with adolescents and teens age 12-17.
Christina specializes in working with older teens and young adults who are navigating life’s pressures and in the process of launching into adulthood.
Both of these extraordinary and talented therapists involve parents regularly and as needed.
Click on the button below to read more about Stephanie and Christina. Then, when you’re ready to schedule your appointment, please call us at 704.319.5593 or contact us online here.
Stephanie Davis M.Ed. M.A.